Thursday, February 14, 2008

More Updates

Thanks so much to Pierrick for sending in these lovely scans of a recent feature on Marion:

We'll have an English translation soon for those of you who (like me) only have a basic understanding of the beautiful French language.

kvc has been keeping us quite busy and very generously sent out the following article on the BAFTA results. Here's an excerpt:

Cotillard's performance as Edith Piaf in "La Vie En Rose" has earned her quite a lot of admirers, if not many statuettes. Canadian Ryan Gosling gushed to Variety in December that, "Not only did she craft a flawless impersonation of a famous personality, but Marion's humanity elevated her performance to a devastatingly honest and yet seemingly effortless personification of integrity and grace.

"To me, this is more than just a great performance; it's a document of this actress's overwhelming ability to love."

Finally, Amely directed us to a beautiful scan of Time Magazine's piece on Marion last month (you might remember my crappy black and white scan). Here's the image in all its glory:

Then we have a link to Time's Oscar predictions. They maintain that Marion will take the Oscar, but don't celebrate just yet, they then say Julie Christie "should win." But don't hate on them too much, they do say that Keira Knightley was robbed. I tend to agree; I wish I could have seen her nominated. I was never a big fan until I saw "Atonement" last year and I was thoroughly impressed.

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to send us kind thoughts; it is much appreciated!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can an oscar presenter be an oscar winner at the same ceremony ?

If it is not possible, then Amy Ryan, Cate Blanchett and George Clooney are not winning this year.

Dorothy Porker said...

That's a really good trivia question. I can't think of anyone at the moment, but I think it's happened before...I vaguely remember George Clooney presenting something the year he won...but I'm probably wrong.

Anonymous said...

Yes they can, most Oscar presenters are: the previous years winners, the current years nominees, and people there to promote their films. Helen Mirren presented something last year, and I can't remember who the other actor winners were, but perhaps they presemnted something as well.

Dorothy Porker said...

I think anonymous is referring specifically to someone who is up for an Oscar on that particular evening and who is also presenting at that same ceremony (regardless of whether they've won before or not). But you're right, I do remember Mirren presenting as well.

Anonymous said...

OK Thanks folks.

What do you think ? I think Julie is winner this year. Marion did a great job anyway. And she established good friendly connections with a lot of people in Hollywood and among her peers, Javier Bardem, DDL, George Clooney, PT Anderson, Amy Ryan, Keira Knightsley, Cate Blanchett, and many other peoples seem to have appreciated our girl.

She now has to blow everything in "Public Enemies".

Is she going to be singing in next Hawkley Workman's record ? She likes that Canadian singer VERY much, she is a true fan !!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that's what I meant, some of the actors nominated, present as well. Seeing as the presenters are sorted out, long before the winners are known, I gather whether they go on, to actually win, is pure chance.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry that went twice by complete mistake. I don't know about the Oscar's, the Bafta's are very different, they hated 'away from her', in the UK, they loved 'la vie en Rose', and are in general more likely to watch Foreign Language films, than they appear to be in the States (as evidence by the presence of ‘La vie’, ‘the lives of others’, ‘the diving bell and the butterfly. That said, a lot of Bafta members, are also members of AMPA (sp?)

I always felt Marion had a better chance at the BAFTA’s than she does at the Oscars. Also a lot of the more ‘Oxbridge’ types who are a member of BAFTA speak excellent French, so they were probably always more likely to go for her. If the two films were in English, Marion would have won very award. I don’t see why it should matter, but unfortunately it does.

k said...

I didn't particularly care for Knightley until I saw Pride & Prejudice. I hadn't liked any previous adaptation (I SHOCKINGLY didn't like the BBC miniseries), but I really loved the 2005 version. Knightley was my Best Actress pick over Witherspoon in 2006. Knightley was born for that part, I think.

Didn't TIME feature Marion's as one of the best performances of the year? Did they also showcase Christie in that issue? Seems odd that they would rave about Marion's performance and then not think she should take the Oscar.

And yes, poppy -- European awards shows are much more likely to reward foreign language films than American ones. That's partly why I prefer the BAFTAs to the Oscars...there's some British pride, yes, but there's also room for surprises that the Oscars just don't seem to allow.