Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Forest


I hope you guys had a lovely Christmas. Here's a snippet I discovered through the Goldderby forums. Roger Friedman was recently talking to Forest Whitaker about the upcoming awards race, and this is what transpired:

"At the screening, I asked Forest Whitaker, slimmed down and refreshed from his Oscar win last winter for "The Last King of Scotland," to whom he expected to hand the Best Actress award in February — assuming we have an Oscar ceremony.

"Marion Cotillard!" he shouted. "Did you not see her in 'La Vie En Rose?' She’s transforming! That’s it!" It’s nice to see someone has an opinion."


Pretty cool, says I. As you might remember, Marion co-starred with Forest in "Mary," a film I've been wanting to see for a long time but which has yet to be released in the US.

Earlier this year I speculated on the possibility of Forest, as last year's Best Actor winner, reading Marion's name from the envelope and handing her the Oscar...sigh.

Along with Cate Blanchett, Keira Knightley, Ryan Gosling, Julia Stiles and now Forest, it's pretty cool to see that actors, Marion's peers (and, as it happens, the largest voting branch of the Academy) are coming out in her support.

In any case, nice to see Forest supporting his girl.

Source

5 comments:

k said...

What did Knightley and Stiles say about her?

The fact that so many high profile SAG members are speaking publicly about their support of Cotillard for BA gives me a lot of hope that she's got the edge to win it.

Dorothy Porker said...

I really should have posted it on the blog sooner :) Here's what Keira said:

What kind of movies do you enjoy?
Of this year? I just saw Michael Clayton, which I thought was wonderful. I though Tilda Swinton in that was unbelievable. I mean, all the performances were great. I loved Into the Wild. I thought that was a very inspirational film, and actually the director of photography for that who also did A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints, is one of my favorites at the moment. That film I thought was wonderful. And Marion Cotillard in La Vie En Rose. I think that’s one of the most extraordinary performances I’ve ever seen.

Here's Julia, from Marie Claire:

Marion Cotillard in La Vie en Rose. I've never seen a performance that's so elastic. She transformed through different ages and time – I thought the physical changes were remarkable.

I'll be updating the side bar with the quotes stat :)

k said...

Nice!

People at goldderby are getting on my nerves, haha.

Dorothy Porker said...

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother going there--there's a crowd of people that live there and exist just to attack (or smuggily correct) everything people say. It's just odd. I do enjoy some of the posters there, but man, that handful of bad apples kill me.

That's why I love Awards Daily (at least the comments section, I don't venture to the forums), where everyone is so chill, fun, and most importantly, don't take themselves too seriously. Ok, end rant.

k said...

It does, I've noticed, tend to be very hard to get any sort of coherent debate/discussion going. Either people are catty about a performer or filmmaker, or WAY too enthusiastic, or just there to pick on other members. It gets to be too much sometimes.

I've found a few people I like to chat with, but most of the time I'm just frustrated.