Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Piaf


I wanted to reflect back on the woman behind the film. I knew very little about Edith Piaf before seeing "La Vie En Rose." That is, I knew a handful of songs--I can't think of a time when I didn't know the tune to "La Vie En Rose" or "L'hymne à l'Amour"--about a few of her love affairs (Yves Montand, Marcel Cerdan to a certain extent), and was able to quickly recognize the small lady in the black dress. Olivier Dahan's film opened up my eyes to La Piaf's life--as someone said before, Piaf makes Judy Garland's life seem like a walk in the park. I've rediscovered her unique talent and have been enriched in the process. I don't claim to understand the woman, but I can certainly empathize. For a nice primer on Piaf's life, here's a helpful link. Enjoy.

No comments: