Thursday, November 1, 2007

Debate?

Hey guys. Sorry for the lack of recent updates, but I just had to share this little exchange I've been involved in for the past couple of days. It all started (cue "memory" music) when I read this (click on the image to see it in full size):



The very first few lines struck me as kind of funny (to say the least). I mean, I can see people disagreeing about Marion's chances of winning, but not seeing her even being considered for a nomination? That was a bit odd and (no offense to the gentleman) clueless. I mean, I do this for fun, but this is that guy's job. In any case, I had to post something which resulted in the following:


Dude was obviously irked and making all kinds of unsubstantiated claims. I've since replied that "Volver" netted Penelope Cruz a nomination (for Lead Actress, no less) and I might have mentioned something about sticking to the facts (I can be a pain when provoked, my bad). The reply isn't showing up yet because I think he (or his team) have to approve the comments.

I kind of feel bad because he keeps making the strangest replies punctuated by personal attacks (are you Cotillard's exec assistant? axes to grind? the name "Cotillard" in my email?) which makes his arguments very easy to knock down.

I do wonder what his next personal insult will be! Stay tuned :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha, you're the best. you must make a fine lawyer. obviously he doesn't know how to do research. you go girl

Dorothy Porker said...

Thanks :) Even funnier is the fact that Mr. Moore edited one of his posts in response to my Penelope Cruz reply but failed to include my reply in the thread. Interesting guy!

k said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dorothy Porker said...

LOL. Seriously. I ended up regretting the whole thing because it wasn't an even fight (i.e. he could edit his stuff and/or refuse to approve comments that made him look, well, dumb). But yeah, it was fun while it lasted :)

k said...

I felt compelled to say something as well, but it's a couple of weeks late and I doubt he'll post it...

"Last time I checked, Isabelle Adjani earned two Lead Actress nods for films that didn't make a huge splash commercially in the US. The same can be said for Catherine Deneuve, who earned a Best Actress nod for a film that didn't even make $6m in the US.

And what about Catalina Sandino Moreno, Fernanda Montengro, or even Massimo Troisi?

I mean, Samantha Morton got nominated for Sweet and Lowdown and she didn't even say a word!

I think you also forget about the power of the biopic. More often than not, if an actor is even slightly convincing in a biopic, they'll get a nod. Cotillard is earning rave reviews, to the point where most reviewers don't even have enough adjectives to describe how good she is. There's no arguing with a performance like that; Cotillard is perfect, even if her film is flawed."

It's futile now, but eh...I had some things to say. And even if he doesn't post it, at least he gets the picture.

Dorothy Porker said...

That's awesome, k! Mr. Moore was probably racking his brain trying to figure out who the hell Massimo Troisi (God rest his soul) or Fernanda Montenegro are.